July 13, 2013

Moving Toward Free to Play...?

If you came here looking for cosmetic helm transmogs, click HERE!

Recently a lot of users brought up concerns over the data mined potion that would grant extra experience to players via purchase from the in game store. Bashiok cleared a few things up by saying (see full thread here):

"... First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game. ..."

That item is called Enduring Elixir of Wisdom! Alright, so an in game store where people can get the mini pets, mounts, and potions to help with leveling and charm grinding; I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, if I wanted to buy something (or even just look at the store), I should just be able to pull up a tab from in game. It's convenient and saves me from having to alt+tab out of what I'm doing. Last night, a few more things were announced to be put into the in game store. I had seen these head pieces before and have been lusting over the frost one for quite some time.

Crown of Eternal Winter - This with T3 mage, YUMMY!
Hood of Hungering Darkness
Update: Helms are $15 in the Blizzard Store. Ouch. I was hoping they would be more along the lines of $8-$10.
Seesaw

*sigh* That Frost Helm!
Blizzard has never put vanity items in the store before, to my knowledge. Before they have always been just mini pets or mounts. After pouring through a few more patch notes and items, I find these items which seem to be costumes for Perky Pug. I cannot believe my fellow mini pet collectors haven't noticed them!

Update: these will be sold by a rare spawn npc on the Timeless Isle!

Perky, dreaming about those costumes!
Now I have no idea if these will be store items also, but I have a feeling they might. It reminds me of the skins you could buy for your dog in Fable 3. I could be wrong and they may just be new drops from the pet tamer bags (which would be WONDERFUL). Finally I get to the cute little Corgi mini pet that was data mined. I have a feeling you may get him from making a purchase via the in game store? I don't think it's too far fetched to think that may be where it comes from.

I actually love vanity items, so as I said before, I have no problem with any this. There will be people who complain (as always) about how it's a game that you already pay $15 monthly for, and you still have to buy these items. People, these are luxury items, meaning you don't need them to play the game; these items are just there to show you have the money to spend on them... nothing else. As far as the experience potion, well, you can always level the old way via heirlooms, guild perks, holiday buffs, and this elixir off of Krol the Blade! Everything else is just to show off.

I don't see WoW going free-to-play anytime soon. However, this may be a test to see how well these potions and other vanity items will sell so that possibly in the future Blizz can maybe make the move to lower the subscription fee or even go free-to-play. It would definitely bring a lot more people back to the game. No one knows anything for certain... It's just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment