March 14, 2018

Battle for Azeroth

It's been way too long since I've written a post. Something similar to this was supposed to go up around the announcement of Battle for Azeroth at Blizzcon. How about we have another watch of that amazing cinematic. I'll post it here so you don't have to go searching for it. Here you go.


Let me say that once again Blizzard's cinematic department has hit the ball out of the park. Previous to this one, my favorite cinematic was the from Wrath of the Lich King. It has now been replaced with this one. I play both Horde and Alliance, but I have never been a fan of Sylvanas. I do really liked seeing her screeching banshee form, and I wish that would get added in game for when the opposing faction tries to kill her (or maybe if she becomes a boss, heh heh.). However, Anduin wins this one for me. Tossed into a war and struggling to fit into his new role as King, he shows off his powers by mass healing most of the Alliance there, including Greymane. Though he's a priest, he's no pushover, but he definitely doesn't fits the role of warrior either. I love seeing a more emotional side to a masculine character, and I hope Blizzard doesn't turn him into a ruthless killing machine. I believe in the upcoming book leading into BfA, we will learn more about the decisions of both factions that lead them to the events in the cinematic. It's said that Horde may be the cause of the first strike, but all details are still too fuzzy for me to start pointing fingers.

I finally had a chance to look through most datamined things since Alpha started. New expansions always have me worried. I know what you're thinking, "Vel, it's still too soon!". You're right, but it's never too early to show some concern for my favorite game. I just never want to go through another Warlords type expansion. The biggest complaints I've seen have been some threads on Reddit about the quality of the Nightborne model. Some people think they look way too different from their NPC counterparts and that the true Nightborne look was lost in the process. Were these models tossed out too soon so that players could experience the new level scaling? Who knows. I haven't purchased the expansion yet, so I haven't had a chance to see them up close for myself. I will say that I am disappointed in the allied races. I only speak for myself, but they are something I never really wanted. I personally would have been much happier with more added customization options to our current races along with that long waited update to the goblin and worgen models.

Quiet contemplation
I am a little worried on the questing in the new zones. I usually play through the story first as Horde, then follow up on my Alliance character. This is the first expansion that I'm considering doing this opposite because the Kul Tiras zones seem much more interesting to me than the troll area of Zandalar. I'm also concerned that each questing experience is only three zones per faction. It doesn't seem like much, though I'm sure once everything is in place, it will feel much larger. I usually never have complains on the zones or questing. Those have always been a pleasure.

I don't have enough information about other things I'd like to talk about, but I'd love to know more about warfronts. The gear from them look amazing and what was teased at Blizzcon looked really interesting. In fact, I've been impressed with most of the gear so far. The questing sets from Kul Tiras are perfect island themed, and the gear from warfronts look like a direct throwback to the Warcraft RTS games. There's so much more I can sit here and speculate on, but I'd rather wait until closer to launch where we hopefully know more. So how do you feel about Battle for Azeroth? Are there things you are excited for or things that concern you? If you pre-ordered, how are you liking the allied races so far? If you got into alpha, do you have any comments about your experience? Leave me a comment below. I look forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see another post from you :)

    Yes, I agree, that cinematic…WoW. Goosebumbs, on several occasions. So much was said during it, using no words! That part with Anduin you described was so…I lack words.

    I cannot wait for that book!

    I trust that your posts will contain a spoiler warning, right? :)

    Wow, that screenshot and the location is nice!
    I haven’t checked the Nightborne Model up close myself, but I have heard, that it didn’t turn out as many want them to. What a shame.
    I agree! That these Allied Models just gets out there, while Worgens are left behind. No, just no. I guess Nightborne and Void Elves really made a lot of people return to the game though. It’s a business…But those Worgens. They really should be next in line.

    This way of new zones is different than before. I wonder why they have done it so. Maybe a new way to keep us busy once we reach max level? I rather quest and get XP along the way though, but time will tell. It might all make more sense in 6 months :)

    The gear does look very detailed. I just hope and pray for more robes and kilts for Leather wearers.

    I have not preordered yet. But I am looking forward to BfA! The quests and the storyline and lore, most of all. And the new zones. Exploring new lands, finding new treasures, seeing new creatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, this post had been sitting half written in my drafts since after Blizzcon. Yikes! I'm remaining optimistic about the entire thing. I'm just worried it will turn into another WoD, but I think that the devs have definitely learned their lesson. I am excited to see the story unfold on both sides though. I can't wait!

      Delete